Friday, March 14, 2008

You're HOW old?

OK, it is a know fact that I look and sound younger then I really am. I have had to grin and bear several .."you are way too young to have kids", type comments over the years, or my favorite, "Is your mom there", comments on the phone. When Alexis was in preschool, a little girl that was in her class's mom informed me that her daughter had told her that Alexis had a "kid mom". She thought this was hilarious, and so did I...kind of. At Alexis's brownie Christmas party one of the girls in Alexis's brownie troop leaned over to her and whispered, "your mommy looks too young to be a mom." The same little girl came with her mom to pick up girl scout cookies at our house. As I was talking to her mom, she wandered into the kitchen where Brandon and the kids were eating dinner. After they left Brandon informed me that she had said to him, "Did you know that Alexis's mom is a teenager?". He in turn said, "Well did you know that I am Alexis's dad?" She responded, "Yes, but Alexis's mom is a teenager." When he told me this I was a little perturbed. I thought he should have said something along the lines of, well listen here missy, she is not a teenager and don't you forget it! He then had to remind me that that kind of comment was a little teenager like. Anyways, today I think beats them all. Brandon and I took Alexis to the doctor (She is getting evaluated for ADD, but that is a whole other story.) Brandon and Alexis went right over and started watching the movie that was playing in the waiting room. I went up to the counter to check her in. I said something like, I am here with Alexis Bronson to see Dr. Girardeau. She said, "Are you Alexis?".....................um no. Now this wouldn't be so bad if this was a family office, where people of all ages are seen, but it is strictly a pediatricians office. So that would have to make me a child to go there right? *sigh* I just have to keep telling myself that I will appreciate looking younger when I am really old. For now I will try not to get too annoyed.

7 comments:

Kristin. said...

I have the same problem!
Once Chuck and I brought Mickala a pizza to her school. While we were leaving a police officer pulled us over wanting to see my checkout slip. He thought Chuck was checking me out... because he was my dad!

kristin.

Z. Marie said...

The same thing used to happen to me (before Laura was born -- perhaps having her has made me look my age). On the bright side, it's not bad to look young.

Aspen said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I have the same problem, although it hasn't been as bad the past couple of years. Jared says the kids have aged me. I had a salesman come to the door and ask for my mom once. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything from him!

Babzanne Barker said...

That was hilarious! And all these comments are making me laugh, too. You get young-looking genes from both sides of the family (not me necessarily, except for maybe my hair), but when Daddy was almost 30 and serving as Scoutmaster he was mistaken for a Boy Scout (ages 12-13) at a camporee. Trust me, in about ten years you will love looking young!!

. said...

No one can vouch for how you feel more than me! While I was teaching school, I inevitably got the "Are you the REAL teacher?" question several times the first few days from parents dropping off their kids. Over the phone, I too get asked if my mom is home occasionally. I've been asked several times if this is my first baby and get shocked looks when I say it's my fourth. I guess the reaction that has bothered me the most was when I went to get a bouquet of flowers to give to my parents when we first became pregnant with Sami. I wanted to congratulate them on becoming grandparents. The lady at the counter asked me what I was looking for and when I said "I'm giving some flowers to my parents to tell them I'm pregnant." she gasped and said "Oh my gosh! Are you married?" Not only married but I was almost 27!! blah . . .

CL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CL said...

Hi Diana! I found your blog through Kim's- how fun to see your family...well, back a few posts anyway:-) So I to have to deal with young comments. When I was working at a middle school I was often asked for a hall pass when I was out and about during classes. I decided then and there I was NEVER working in a high school! If people thought I looked like a student in middle school, what would high school be like? So good to see how you are doing!

Cheryl-Lynn
kiandcher.blogspot.com