Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Bye Bye B"


We took Levi to have his speech evaluated, because we were concerned that he wasn't speaking as much as we thought he should be. We found out that he does have a speech delay, and a speech therapist is going to be coming to our home to do some speech therapy with him, starting in a few weeks. Although they didn't tell us that him using a binky is the cause of his delay in speech, we decided that it certainly wasn't helping the matter. So for the past week we have been preparing Levi for his Binky to go "bye bye" Yesterday we told him that he only can have his binky at nap time and bedtime. He was fine with this and happily put his binky on his dresser. When it came time for bed he ran and got it and hopped into bed. This morning when he got up, it took a little bit of coaxing, but he finally put it on his dresser and went about his business. Wow! This is going to be easier then I thought......wrong! I loaded the kids in the car to take Alexis to school, and Tori to preschool. We got halfway there when I heard from the back seat.."B?" Which is what he calls his binky. I should have known this would happen since the car is one place he always wants his binky. Needless to say it was not a fun car ride. He cried and cried the whole time. When we got home he was still sobbing, so we cuddled for a little while, and then I distracted him by turning on a cartoon. After a few minutes he was happy again. But I am here to tell you. It took every fiber of my being to not give into this face:

8 comments:

Kim said...

That would be a hard face to resist. When we got rid of Nicholas' bink we thought it would be a long process, but there were just a couple days of him asking for it and then he forgot about it. So hopefully it won't take too long for Levi. Good luck!!

AJ and Cindy said...

This post made me cry! lol first, because I totally love Levi so much just the way he is,speech delay and all(plus he did say my name a little at Christmas!)and also bc now that you know it can be taken care of. but also because i know how much he loves his "B" :( how hard!! Give him lots of loves from auntie cindy and uncle AJ!

Linda said...

Be grateful it's not his thumb!

Katie said...

Aw that picture at the bottom is so sweet, i Don't know how you could resist it! I'm glad that he's going to have the speech therapist though, so he'll be able to tell you what he wants a little better. He's such a sweet little boy :)

Babzanne Barker said...

Oh how sad!! Does Levi want to come and live with Grandma and Grandpa? Because we could not resist that precious face!!

Beth said...

Aw, what a sweet little face. Kudos to you for being strong and resisting. I especially loved your mom's comment - my parents always offer to let my kids come live with them when they get sad about something.

Kristalyn said...

Levi looks so adorable in that picture, even though I know that he is sad. I can't decide who he looks like..but he totally reminds me of someone...probably Brandon. I'm glad that they are going to help him with his speech, even though I really do think that he is saying more and more all of the time. Hopefully he is doing well with out "B".

Bethany said...

Poor Guy! I still have (and sleep with) my blanky. It's hard to give up things that give you so much comfort.