Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Scarlett's Birth Story

 The morning of Scarlett's birth, began with me being completely terrified.  At around 1:15 or 1:30 am I was awoken suddenly to my water breaking.  It was such a weird sensation.  Something I never experienced until in the hospital with the other kid's births.  I would like to say I remained calm, but that would so not be the truth.  I immediatley went into panic mode.  Brandon had stayed up late with the girls watching a movie.  Levi had climbed in bed with me, and when Brandon came up to bed he was too tired to move him in his own bed so he went into Levi's room to sleep.  (I didn't know this until later)  As soon as my water broke, I jumped out of bed, noticed Brandon wasn't there, walked into the hall and started to scream call for Brandon.  I thought he must have fallen asleep on the couch and tried to call as loudly as I could, but got no response.  With my water still in the process of breaking, I walked as quickly as I could down the stairs, continuing to call Brandon's name.  He was not answering.  I thought he must just be in a deep sleep.  I made my way all the way down stairs only to find an empty couch.  In my desperation I remember saying, "Where is he??!!"  I then made my way back upstairs and noticed Levi's door was closed.  I opened the door and saw him sound asleep.  He says I scared him to death as I yelled to him that my water broke.  I just remember his eyes flying open, and him jumping out of bed and running to my side.  The next 10 minutes were total chaos as we tried to gather everything together to bring to the hospital.  You would have thought it was our first baby, how freaked out we were.  I went into labor on my own with Alexis, but things went really slowly.  I was induced with Tori and Levi.  So this was a whole new experience for us.  When my water was broken with them, soon followed a baby, so needless to say I was a little worried that Scarlett would be making her appearance very shortly.  Luckily our kids all slept soundly thorough the commotion.  Such a blessing, because they probably would have been scared.  I called my mom, told her my water broke, and she said she would be right over.  When I was talking to her later, she said that I sounded so scared.  Knowing my mom was only minutes away, we finished gathering our stuff and just left for the hospital.

The hospital is only about 10 minutes away from our house, but it felt like it took forever to get there!  I called my doctor's office after hours line and after listening to a very long message and having to push several different numbers (seriously, don't they know that a woman in labor does not have time for that??)  I finally was able to leave a message for my midwife.  Brandon parked out in front of the ER and ran in to get a wheel chair.  I was shaking uncontrollably, and my water was still pouring out with each slight movement.  Luckily I had pre-registered online the week before, so the receptionist just had to verify a little bit of information.  She then said that a nurse would be down to take me up, because they like to accompany you if your water breaks.  I was a bit impatient, but tried to remain calm as we waited for what seemed like forever for her to come down.  She finally arrived and we were off to labor and delivery.

I was relieved to be there, but still anxious to get hooked up to the monitors so I could hear the baby's heartbeat.  I hadn't felt her move since my water broke and wanted to be reassured that everything was ok.  I got changed into a lovely hospital gown and then the nurse came in to get me all situated.  Scarlett's heartbeat was beating strong, and I finally was able to relax.  When she checked me, I was a little more then a four, so I was glad to know that I would have time for an epidural.  (I don't even pretend that I want to tough it out and try labor naturally.  As soon as I am able, I want that epidural)  The nurse asked me when I would want to get then epidural, and I told her as soon as I was allowed!

She then attempted to put an IV in, which did not work the first time (ouch)  Luckily the second time she was successful.  After that was done and she got some fluids hooked up for me, the anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural.  They don't let the husbands stand by their wives any more after an incident where a husband passed out, hit his head and ended up dying!  So Brandon had to sit on the couch, and the nurse assisted me.  It actually went faster then I remember it taking in the past.  The contractions were coming pretty consistently and getting stronger, so the nurse decided to check me again.  I was now at a five.  She turned down the lights and told us to try and get some rest because we had a big day ahead of us.  Brandon was out in a matter of minutes, but my mind was racing and as hard as I tried I could not fall asleep.  I just layed there, and watched the monitors.  About an hour later the nurse came back in to check me again.  I was now at a 6-7.  Things were moving so fast!  I was starting to get really nervous but also really excited.  The nurse told me to tell her when I started to feel pressure and she would check me again.  With my other deliveries I remember the pressure being so bad that it was almost unbearable.  I started feeling pressure about a half hour later, but it wasn't too bad so I waited about an hour before I called the nurse in to check me.  When she checked me, I was at a nine!  I couldn't believe it.  I still felt great!  She told me to call her back in when the pressure got more intense and it would probably be time to push.  For some reason with each contraction I could feel pain on my right side.  I felt nothing on the left, just on the right.  They give you a button to push if you feel like you need more pain medicine, so I decided to push it to see if that would help.  I felt my left side get numb but nothing on the right.  I started to get worried that I would be able to feel everything on the right side during delivery, so I waited 15 minutes and pushed it again.  During this all, the pressure was getting stronger, but still bearable.  After about an hour a finally called the nurse in to check me.  I also told her about the pains I was having on the right side, so she called the anesthesiologist in to check in out.  He came in and made a little adjustment to see if that would help.  Then the nurse checked me and told me I was complete and ready to push!  I still couldn't believe how smoothly everything was going and how good I still felt.  I expected to push a few times and be done, but I ended up pushing for over an hour because her head was turned up, instead of down, making it harder for her to progress down.  Finally at 9:23 am, our baby girl entered this world.  As they lifted her towards me, I said,  "She looks just like Tori!"

Her poor little head was a little mishapen, which worried Brandon a little, but they reassured us that it would go back to normal in no time.

I was immediately in love.  She was so perfect!  Her eyes were wide open from the start and she was just looking all around.  In my other kid's deliveries they let me hold them for a few minutes and then took them to get weighed and cleaned.  But they left her with me for about an hour.  They said that they have discovered that is better for the baby.  I loved it!  They also left her umbilical chord attached for that whole time to.  They said they want her to get as much of the blood from that as possible before they cut it, because it is so good for them.  I just loved holding her and having her finally here.




Finally after about an hour, they had Brandon cut the umbilical chord.  The nurse was so nice to offer to take pictures.  I didn't want to miss any moment!

And then finally it was Brandon's turn to hold his baby girl.  I know it killed him to wait so long, but he was so good to just wait, take pictures and make sure I was ok.  But when it was finally his turn, they didn't have to ask him twice!
See how alert she is!  I couldn't believe that her eyes were so wide open!

This one is my favorite =) 



Now it was finally time to give her a bath and weigh her.

At this point she still had not cried at all! I thought for sure when she had her bath she would, but nope, she just layed there like a champ.  They gave her a shot and poked her heel, and she still didn't make a peep.  We couldn't beleive it!  The worry wart in me came out a little, and I asked the nurse if they thought she had the disorder where she can't feel pain.  They just laughed and said that she was just fine, and was just content =)

Finally they weighed her.  She was 7 lbs. 14 oz.  which is right around where we thought she would be.

I could not have asked for a better delivery experience.  It went so smoothly, and I am so grateful for that!  I couldn't believe that our little girl was finally here and tried to soak up every moment =)

7 comments:

Babzanne Barker said...

Beautiful story! And I love that last picture of you and Scarlett--so very, very pretty!!

Anonymous said...

i am cry whe read this! we can't wait to meet her :)

AJ and Cindy said...

this was great to read, so much detail! I love all the pictures, I keep coming back and looking at them, that one of her head is a little crazy! haha :) she looks so happy and peaceful, you can definitely see that in her pictures. that is cool about them letting you hold her for so long, what a great thing. and that really happened about a dad? at your hospital? that's crazy!

Celeste said...

I'm so glad she made it here safely and that you were such a champ through delivery. I was so worried that Brandon would be in these pictures with a black nose from the daddy/daughter activity. =) Glad the face paint came off easily.

Lauren and Jason said...

I love this and that last picture makes me teary, you look so beautiful!

Lynsey said...

What a wonderful story and I am glad it was such a smooth delivery for you. The last picture is my favorite, such a tender moment with you and Scarlett.

Kristalyn said...

I loved hearing Scarlett's birth story! It's always fun to read and I can relate to a lot of the things. I LOVE the pics of Brandon and Scarlett. He is always so eager and happy to hold my babies and I know he loves little ones so much (and you too of course!) I'm glad that you have another little one for both of you to love. I remember when we had Mason they told us that that had happened just within the last week or so about the husband dying when he fainted. that is so sad! I'm glad they keep it safe now. :)