Friday, October 8, 2010

I've Learned.....

.......that things always seem a lot worse in the middle of the night. I tend to over think things, and worry way too much about things. I have had many sleepless nights, that have been spent worrying about this or that. As soon as something of concern enters my thoughts in the night I am pretty much doomed. I will lay there and think about it, and stress about it, and hours will go by. Well this happened last night. Brandon has been in Montana for a little over a week working. We talk on the phone several times throughout the day. He always calls right before bed to say goodnight. When we got home from the girls musical theatre class last night Alexis tried calling him to tell him about her solo that she had done that night. He didn't answer. I didn't think much of this, and we went about our normal bedtime routine, and then I went to bed myself. About 4:00 in the morning I awoke in a panic. I realized that I had not talked to Brandon since 2:30 the afternoon before. I quickly checked my phone to see if I had any missed calls, and Ihadn't. I then called Brandon (yes at 4:00 in the morning). He didn't answer. I called his Montana cell phone number. He didn't answer. I tried not to think anything of it and tried to go back to sleep. Yeah right. About 10 minutes later I called both numbers again. Surely he would hear his phone!! No answer. This is when my thoughts began to go crazy. Some of my thoughts were:

~Is he stranded on the side of the road somewhere?
~Is he unconscience in the hospital, and they don't know who to call and notify? (he just got a cell phone for Montana and doesn't have any numbers saved in it)
~Is Duane (the friend he is staying with down there) afraid to call and tell me something terrible has happened?
~Should I call my mom?
~Is he still alive?
~How could I ever plan his funeral?
~What was the last thing we said to each other?
~How long should I wait before calling family and telling them that I couldn't get a hold of Brandon.
~How could I be a single mom?

Yeah, you get the gist of it. Crazy I know. I prayed and prayed that he would call, and that I would know if he was ok. This went on for hours. Finally at around 6 am when the sun started to come out I had a thought.

~ He probably left his cell phone in his car, got distracted talking to Duane and went to bed without even thinking about it.

Why this thought didn't occur to me hours ago is beyond me. As soon as I had this thought I felt fine and fell asleep. (until my alarm went of at 6:45) Around 7, Brandon called. He had awoken to realize he didn't have his phone, and hadn't called me the night before. He ran out to his car, found his phone, saw all the missed calls, and called me right away. "I was writing your eulogy in my head!!" I told him, to which he chuckled but the quickly realized I wasn't kidding.

Now, this brings me to the lesson of this all. Things always seem better in the morning. I don't know why the dark hours of the night always bring out the worry wart in me. As soon as the sun started to rise I had such a clearer rationalization of it, and could hardly even believe I had been so worried. I hope this will be a lesson to me when I wake up on future nights (which I am sure I will)

In my defense though, anyone who know Brandon knows that he always calls!! LOL

6 comments:

Celeste said...

AMEN!! All of my worst fears come out late at night! And in the morning I immediately can make better decisions and think clearer but late at night things seem way worse and overwhelming. Makes for some long nights! Glad everything was okay though.

Lynsey said...

So true! I have struggled with that same worry wart syndrome for years and every time I work myself up into a panic it always seems so clear in the light of day. If only we could find a way to channel those rational thoughts in the wee hours of the night. I am glad everything was ok with Brandon.

Katie said...

I'm the same way. I stay awake at night, just considering the worst possible scenarios of things, even about things that I have no reason to worry about. Whenever Forrest doesn't call, I always think of the worst thing ever. But I would have been so worried too if I were you, because Brandon always calls you all the time! haha

Tammy said...

Diana, I totally relate! I do the same thing. I literally bring myself to tears sometimes from the "scenarios" that I've imagined in my head. I've had the same thing happen with Hugh on trips. Ugh! I also wake up and then realize all the things I'm doing wrong as a Mom-things I should've said/done or should've done differently. Hurrah for the sun coming up.

Babzanne Barker said...

You poor thing! you know you can call me anytime--but after getting your phone call from Provo a couple of weeks ago I'm kind of glad you let me sleep this time! :) Last fall when Katie was working nights at the clinic and had to park in the bank parking lot I worried about her geting home okay. One night I had talked to her just before she got off work and asked her to call me when she got home. She said she would. Well, a half hour passed and no phone call. Then another fifteen minutes--then another, and pretty soon it was an hour later than she should have been home. I was texting her and getting no response--and at that time Katie always had her phone practically glued to her. Another couple of hours passed before she finally called me--she had gone over to see a friend and they were watching a movie--normal college stuff! Anyway, I decided right then that I would never ask her to call me when she got home again! I had to admit to myself that she was grown up (more or less--haha!!) and that I couldn't put myself through the constant worrying if I didn't hear from her. I'm not saying this is the same thing at all as your experience with Brandon, but it did remind me of that night I worried so many hours about Katie!

Kristalyn said...

What a terrible, long night for you!

I always get sooo scared when David is somewhere and I haven't heard from him and I think I should have. I do the same thing of thinking that I will have to be a single mom and think about how we will survive. It's horrible, but I always convince myself that that is what happened. It's such a relief to find out it didn't!

I'm glad Brandon called and you're right, it must have been especially hard 'cuz he really always calls lots!