Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Our Little First Grader!

Today is Alexis's first day of 1st grade. I can not believe how fast time has flown. It seems like yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital. She was a little nervous. She had a lot of great friends in Kindergarten last year, and was afraid that no one would want to be her friend this year (we moved so she is at a new school this year) I assured her that as long as she was friendly to everyone, that everyone would want to be her friend. I told her the story of when I was in First grade, and I was in Art class and this little girl with dark brown hair , named Mary Sue was sitting next to me. She turned to me and asked if I wanted to be her friend and I said yes. We were best friends from then on, and are still friends to this day. She loved that story and said that she was going to ask people if they wanted to be her friend just like Mary Sue did to me. I took her to back to school night last night to meet her teacher and drop off her school supplies. When I saw her very own little desk with her name on it, I started to get a little teary. I thought I was going to be doomed when I dropped her off this morning. It went well though. It was only when a friend from church asked me how Alexis did, that I felt my eyes start to well up a little. I just can't believe she is going to be gone all day long. You parents out there reading this, cherish the moments that you have with you kids at home with you all day. I know it can be stressful at times, but I can't describe the feeling of knowing that those days are over for me with Alexis. When we got to school this morning Alexis was thrilled to learn that her friend Skylar that we have not seen for a while was in her class. I am so glad that she will have a familiar face in there with her. I hae been counting down until I get to go get her. Only 1 hour and 35 minutes to go. I told Alexis that her first day might feel really long to her, but she would get used to it. I had no idea how long it would seem to me! I may be being a big baby about this whole this but it is a big milestone! I can't even imagine having to take her to college. Well I better go try and get some things done before I get to go and get her. Now there is only 1 hour and 33 minutes left. =)


8 comments:

Kristalyn said...

Alexis looks so cute and grown up here! I just know that she's going to find a best friend, just like you did!

Bethany said...

I have been watching your blog Diana, and I must say that you quite possibly have some of the cutest little girls I have ever seen! They are so sweet and always smiling... amazing.

Bethany said...

So cute! I remember my first day of first grade. I made some friends and we spent every recess hanging up side down on the monkey bars. It was pretty much amazing.

Katie said...

SHe looks so cute. I hope she has a great year at first grade! I know a few little girls that could be in her class, if they are i'll tell them to find alexis!!

Kari said...

I can't believe how much she looks like you! She is adorable. How weird for you to have a child in school all day! I hope she has fun and you get used to the the change :)

AJ and Cindy said...

Hi! I cant believe she is in 1st grade, I could hardly believe when she was in kindergarten! I can totally remember waiting for her tobe born in the hospital lol! Makes me miss everyone so much, give her lots of hugs from Auntie Cindy!!

Babzanne Barker said...

She is of course the cutest little first grader anywhere! I hate to tell you this but it doesnt' get easier when you take them to college!!

Beth said...

Aww, sending your little girl off to first grade...I can't imagine!! She is SO cute. I love reading about the adorable things your little girls say and do. Priceless!!