Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Columbine


Today is the 11th anniversary of the shootings at Columbine. I almost was able to send my kids to school today. Almost. It was going to be such a big step for me. I have never been able to send them on April 20th, and I thought for sure I would be able to this year. Hair was done, breakfast was fed... As I started to put Alexis's homework in her backpack, my heart started to pound. It felt like someone was standing on my chest, making it hard to get a full breath in. I couldn't do it. This year wasn't going to be the year. Maybe next year....

3 comments:

AJ and Cindy said...

I bet I will be the same when Lyla is in school, it is amazing how different things hit us like that. I love you! Can't wait to see you soon!

Babzanne Barker said...

Life goes on, and then it hits you. Out of the blue, the feelings from that day just come back. But they don't stay--just a reminder of another time, and another place. It's hard to believe it's been eleven years. I am so grateful for the wonderful life you have been blessed with since then, and for the wonderful daughter you are.

Celeste said...

I don't blame you at all.