Monday, December 10, 2007

Shots

Today was Tori's 4 year check up. (it only took me three months after her actual birthday to make an appointmet!) Well I thought she would have to have one shot, so I was telling her all about it, just to prepare her for it. She was so scared! I was laying with her in her bed last night trying to reasure her that everything would be fine. She asked me how bad it would hurt, and I told her it would just feel like a little pinch and then be done with. She asked if I wuold pinch her on her leg to show her how it would feel. So I pinched her leg just a little tiny bit (I thought) but she started screaming and crying and sobbing actually. Talk about feeling like the worst mom in the entire world! I checked on her a little bit later and she was asleep at the bottom of her bed. So I moved her to the top on her pillow, and in her sleep she said "I don't want to have a shot.." So Today we went to the doctor, and it turns out she had to actually have 4, since she was going into Kindergarten next year. Levi was having his appointment too for his two year check up, and he had to have one shot. He went first. Tori sat up there next to him, and watched the whole thing (bad idea). He screamed of course, and then it was her turn. She started running around the room saying "I don't want a shot" I had to pick her up and carry her to the table (this is the same girl who didn't shed a tear while getting stitches put into her head) Well to finish up this story, she screamed and sobbed through the whole thing. I have never seen her that upset. Every time my kids get shots it is so hard to watch, but for some reason this time was the worst of all. I actually started crying a little! I had to quickly wipe away the tears before the nurse saw. I think it was worse because Tori never complains about anything and is always so easy going. It took the whole car ride home for my heart to stop pounding, and when I explained the story to Brandon he didn't seem to understand how traumatic it was so I told him the next time the kids get shots. He is going!

5 comments:

Aspen said...

I'm laughing so hard right now, because this EXACT thing happened to me last month. The girls got flu shots and Kylie was in tears the morning before. Sadie was being brave so I decided to have her go first, and as soon as she saw the needle she screamed so loud, which freaked Kylie out and I literally had to peel her arms off the legs of the table and pin her down to get her shot. They both sat there sobbing and holding each other while Brynlie got THREE shots and only let out one little cry. Since it's their first flu shot, we have to go back this weekend for the other half. :)

AJ and Cindy said...

I read this post before I went to sleep and I dreamed about Tori, and she was so sad in the dream :( this was so sad! Poor little Tori! and you! That is so many shots! lol

Babzanne Barker said...

That poor sad story brought tears to my eyes, too! I can't imagine how hard it was for you actually being there. I think you should be sure Daniel reads that blog! He will be able to totally relate to sweet little Tori. He's the one who told Dr. Kesselman the nurse was going to bite him when he had to get a shot! And Dr. Kesselman burst out laughing!

Linda said...

I hate shots. I have always hated them. The only thing worse is taking your children in for them.

Kristalyn said...

That is so sad! :*( I always hate taking Mason for his shots...and it sounds like it just gets worse as they can understand more what is going on. THat is so sad that she was so worried about it the night before...and that she had to get 4!!