Thursday, January 9, 2014

Our New Home

As soon as we decided to move to Rexburg, I immediately got online, to find out everything I could about Rexburg. The schools, the homes, the shopping, everything. I searched Craigs List every day for homes. Since it was still several months before we were to move, it was hard to really find many options of places that would still be available when we moved. As time moved on, I found several houses that looked great, but didn't feel right. In October, an ad was posted for a home that fit our budget and the requirements we were looking for. I normally didn't look at ads that didn't have any pictures, but did this time I decided to. I requested some pictures from the person who posted the ad, and she emailed me some later that day. It wasn't the most gorgeous house, but something about it just felt right. I have a freind who lives in Rexburg, so I Facebook messaged her to see if she would go and look at the house just to make sure that it wasn't a scam or anything. She happily agreed and went and took several pictures. She didn't love the house, which normally would have made me not want it, but it still just felt like the right home for us. So we went ahead and signed a lease and put a deposit down. It was such a relief to have that figured out. Then I was able to figure out what schools the kids would go to, and focus on the other things that needed to be done. Fast forward, to December 28th. We planned on arriving on the 27th, but due to some troubles with the Uhaul, we didn't make as good of time as we had hoped and had to stay in a hotel on Friday night. We left our hotel around 7am to make it to the house by 9, when some people from our new ward were going to meet us there to help us unload. Katie and I ended up having to go back to the hotel for something, which I will go into more detail about in a different post; so we were about an hour behind Brandon and Kevin in the Uhaul. On our way back from the hotel, we had to stop for gas, and while we were there Brandon called me. He said when they pulled up, the driveway was covered in snow a few feet deep, and that they had no idea how they were going to be able to back the Uhaul into the driveway for unloading. Somehow our shovel disappeared when people were helping us to load the truck up back in Colorado, so they didn't even have a snow shovel to clear a path. He said that as they were contemplating what to so, a man from across the street came out with his snow blower and asked if they needed any help. Then shortly later, the neighbor behind us came out with a snow shovel. Before they knew it, the driveway was cleared. Then, several people from the ward, came and helped unload. He also said the daughter of the man that lived behind us had a 12 year old daughter.  As he was telling me these things, the tears started flowing. We were once again being taken care of. Finding out that there was a 12 year old girl from our ward, next door so quickly was a huge tender mercy in my eyes. I was so worried about all of my kids, but especially Alexis, being older and having to start Jr. High in the middle of the school year. I know this was Heavenly Father's way of letting me know, once again, that everything was going to be OK.

As Katie and I pulled in the driveway the truck was nearly unloaded. I said a quick hello, and thank you to everyone that was helping and headed inside with Katie to check out our place. As I walked throughout the house, I tried to keep a smile on my face, but Katie knew better. She saw the horror through the smile, and stopped and gave me a huge hug. What a blessing to have her there.  The house felt like an icebox, which probably made things feel worse then they were, but some of the initial things that I noticed that caused some alarm, were, a  smelly mold filled fridge, filthy carpets and floors, dirty walls, and  dirty toilets and bathtubs. There were muddy footprints everywhere from everyone's feet from carrying everything in, and I just felt completely overwhelmed. We had just traveled for 24 hours, and there was so much work to be done. I couldn't believe this was our home. Keep in mind that I was tired, and the emotions from the move were in full swing.  Well as soon as everyone left, Katie went to work scrubbing my kitchen cupboards. She was such an angel to have there, being so positive and motivating, and helping to get out new house feeling like a home. Kevin was a huge help to us too. I don't know what we would have done if they hadn't been there.  I think there definitely would have been a lot more tears from me, although there were already a ton as it was.

Over the next three days we worked day and night getting things cleaned and unpacked. The kitchen walls were the worst. They were covered in old food, and who knows what. Katie talked us into painting, and I am so glad she did! It looks so great now. By the time they left on Monday afternoon, our home was feeling so much better, and I was actually starting to like it. Now here we are two weeks later, and I like it even more. It really is the perfect house for us. All it needed was a little love. Without further adieu, Here are some pictures...

Here is a zoomed out picture of us in front so you can see the outside. It is a ranch with a finished basement.

Here is our front room from one angle.

And here it is from another angle. It is pretty big and feels really open. Notice that small window on the wall? Open it up and you get a gorgeous view of.... the garage.  That was quite odd to me, until we realized that the garage had been an ad-on, and that window had been their prior to the ad-on.  We just keep the blinds closed =)

Here is the dining room that is adjacent to the kitchen.

Here is the other side of the dining room, leading into the kitchen. I;m not thrilled about the carpet in the dining room, but what can ya do?

Here is our kitchen. The landlords put in beautiful tile counters, which we love. Once we got the kitchen scrubbed and all cleaned up, it came together really well, and I really like it.

Here is the laundry room that leads into the bathroom upstairs. It is right next to our bedroom, and I am loving having the laundry room so close. I am actually staying caught up with laundry! The bathroom is pretty small, but pretty nice (once we cleaned it)

Here is a bookcase that we have at the end of the hallway. Katie put our books away and put up some decorations, and we love it!

Here is the front door area that leads into the front room. We have a rug now in front of the door, which is a must with carpet there!

Here is the basement. Before we left, our neighbor gave us a couch she was  getting rid of, and it works perfectly down there. It is nice having this space down there for the kids to hang out in. 

Another angle

Here is Alexis's room. She actually loves the pink carpet! She had a lot of fun decorating it. Her room is in the basement right next to the basement family room.

Here is the bathroom in the basement. It is much bigger then the upstairs one!

Here is Tori and Levi's room. They are such good buddies and were excited to share a room. This room is really big. They also had a ton of fun making it their own. They love the bright red carpet, lol.  Their room is also in the basement down the hall from Alexis's.

There is a third room in the basement that we are using for an office. The white table on the far right was left in the garage, and I fell in love with it. It was filthy, but I knew it had potential. Brandon vetoed using it. So Katie and I  snuck it in when he wasn't looking, hoping he wouldn't notice. He noticed right away, and was a little annoyed, but agreed to let it stay  =)

Attached to the office is a huge storage room with a lot of shelves. We are loving having so much space to store things.

Here is one of my favorite things of all... a large garage that we are actually able to park our van in!!!  Brandon and Kevin worked hard to organize the garage to make room for parking. It was a must in cold and snowy Rexburg!



Here is Scarlett giving you all a tour of her bedroom. It is upstairs right across the hall from us. The hardwood floors in her room and ours were in pretty bad condition, but we managed to get them looking OK.



Here's another angle. I was excited to finally  use the wall decals that came with her bedding set.

Here is Brandon and I's room. It is really tiny and barely fits our bed and dresser. But that's all we need, so it works! We probably could have  had the large downstairs bedroom, but I don't think I could have handled the red carpet, and I wanted to be on the main floor, near Scarlett.

Here is our teeny tiny closet. In our last house we both had a closet, twice this size, so I had no idea how we were going to fit all of our things. Miraculously it has all fit! It is nice having the built in dresser too.


 I forgot to get some pictures of our back yard. It is not too big, which is exactly how we like it. That means less yard work!  There is enough room to set up the trampoline (when all the snow melts), and there is also room to play.  There are four fruit trees in the backyard, and we are really excited for those to ripen in the spring and summer.


So that is our house!  Although my first thoughts of it were not too good, it is really growing on me. I know it is where we are supposed to be living. We love our neighbors, the schools and our ward is great too. Things are starting to come together. If  don't think about how far away Colorado is, I do pretty OK =)


Here are some pictures of us getting things in working order and painting the kitchen. I know I  look ginormous in the painting ones. I blame it on Brandon's huge shirt I was wearing


The kitchen sink has been leaking a ton. Thank goodness for a handy husband, since the landlords have yet to send someone out to fix it.




Brandon, being creative trying to fix something on the washer =)



Here we are right before the Beyerleins left. They were heaven-sent. We have been so blessed by their friendship and will miss them so much





And here is Brandon on his first day of school at BYUI, the whole reason we came. He is loving it so far. Let's hope it stays that way!


He was thrilled I was taking the picture, as you can tell =)

  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys really doing very good job the house look fantastic! I like the kitchen a lot, every post made me cry and reminds me how much we miss you!

AJ and Cindy said...

Oh my gosh I was crying through all of this. Especially about the snow blower part with all your neighbors.It's funny that when you "know" you're supposed to be somewhere even though you're not sure why, it always works out. When we moved to Bountiful, we had no reason to come here, but it just felt right, so I totally get what you mean. That just shows that you're in that neighborhood for an absolute reason! And I'm so happy you had the Beyerliens, I wish we could have helped, but I'm so grateful for them. Your house looks SO cute!! I can't wait to come and hang out!

Unknown said...

Okay so this is three family members in a row who are crying while reading this blog. I can't add anything else to what Charbel and Cindy said, except that I agree whole-heartedly with all their comments. You are definitely in the right home and Heavenly Father will continue watching over you. I miss you so much!! But can't wait to hear about your new adventures! Love you!

Unknown said...

PS I think it's so cute that you took a picture of Brandon on his first day of school!! haha!

Celeste said...

I miss you! I love the house. It reminds me of the house we live in right now. The master bedroom is the same. I would die for a walk-in closet. It's really cute.

The Mattinson's said...

what no door step on the first day of school picture? Ryan wants to know what his major is?

Katie said...

I just realized you posted a ton of posts I never read. I think the house looks great! You really did a great job!