Friday, May 4, 2012

Tori's Immigration Fair

Tori just finished a fun unit in school learning all about when her ancestors immigrated to America.  The culmination of this unit was an immigration fair.  Each student had studied a country that they had ancestors from.  Tori's country was England.  She wrote a big report, decorated a doll, and made a flag.  On the day of the fair, they had to bring in some food from their country to share.  Parents were invited, and it was a fun little event.  

They started out by singing us several really cute songs.  I was so impressed!

Then they had to go to "Ellis Island"  to be interviewed to come to America and get their passports stamped.  Weeks before the fair, her teacher had sent home a list of questions that they would be asked, and so Tori studied really hard, and memorized them all.  

Here she is having her interview and then getting her passport stamped.



Then they got to go around and try all of the different foods that people had brought.  Here she is standing by her scones that she brought.  She is holding her passport.


They were each given a big doll cut out of a poster board that they had to dress in traditional clothing from their country.  My mom has a book that my aunt made her that has a ton of pictures of my great grandma.  One of the pictures is a picture of her right before she got on the boat to travel to America.  We designed the dress for Tori's doll to be the same style as the one my great grandma wore in the picture. 


It was a great event for the kids, and I had a great time seeing a bit of what they have been learning about this past month.  

7 comments:

Clement Park Ward Youth Trek said...

I always loved things like this in elementary school. Tori looks so sweet; I love the picture of her at the immigration station; it looks so real! (is she going by Victoria now? I noticed it said Victoria by her doll :)

AJ and Cindy said...

Oh man! I still am sad I couldn't go! Looks so fun :) I am still giggling about her passport picture haha!

Anonymous said...

Tori looks so sweet, sure this post made remember when i going for my passport stamp lol :)

Diana said...

Katie- Yes! She goes by Victoria at school! lol

Cindy- I know, right? hahaha

Charbel- Your kids will have wonderful stories to write about when they do similar things at school!

Celeste said...

The scones look amazing! Good job Mom! Good Job Victoria (does she want us to call her that at church?)

Lynsey said...

What a fun thing to do!! Her doll turned out so good.

Babzanne Barker said...

What a great event! Her great-great grandmother Shurtliff would have been so pleased that Tori used her picture as a model for the doll. It turned out so good!