Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thanksgiving and getting ready for Christmas!

Over Thanksgiving we were able to travel to Utah. We had a lot of fun visiting with family. Here are some of the highlights of our trip (as they come to me):
~ Brandon and the kids getting to meet Lyla for the first time. They were instantly smitten, Tori especially. She wanted to hold Lyla every chance that she could.
~ Attending sweet Lyla's baby blessing. I don't know how I managed to not take one picture that day! You can see some darling ones here though.
~ Getting to see Kristalyn, David, Mason and Carter whom we have missed a lot since they moved to Utah this past year.
~Getting to see Katie, and the girls spending hours hanging out with her watching YouTube videos, listening to music and having their hair done.
~Having a fun Thanksgiving dinner at a church along with a ton of AJ's family. There were probably over 100 people.
~Seeing "New Moon" for the second time.
~ Going Black Friday shopping. Not too early though. I think we made it out the door by 7. Too many disappointing previous black Friday experiences kept us from getting up any earlier.
~ Having adjoining rooms with my parents and Katie, Daniel and Michael. Our kids loved being able to run over there any time they pleased to hang out.
~Going up to visit grandma and grandpa Simmons. We had a great times visiting with them for a few hours. The kids loved going out into the barn and playing with the horse.
~ Going to a Utah Grisslies Hockey game, and getting to throw little stuffed animals onto the ice.
~ Watching the Utah VS BYU football game. It got a little tense having very dedicated Utah and BYU fans in the room!
~Seeing the beautiful lights of Temple Square.
~ Going to "5 Guys"
~ Deciding to stay an extra day
~ Me, suffering from an infection from getting my wisdom teeth out (a not so fun highlight of the trip)
~Going shopping at the outlets
~And whatever else I forgot and will probably add to this list when I remember.

Here are some pictures that I took throughout the week.























Once we were finally home, I felt so behind on getting our Christmas decorations up. The thought of getting our huge Christmas tree box out of storage and putting it together seemed so overwhelming, so I talked Brandon into getting a real tree this year!

The kids had so much fun putting all of the decorations on the tree. I always let them put everything on and then when they aren't looking I go and arrange them so they aren't all clumped together. I was surprised (and maybe a little sad) when this year I didn't have to do hardly any rearranging!







Our kids are counting down the days until Christmas, and I am trying to not get too overwhelmed in all the events that the Christmas season brings.

9 comments:

AJ and Cindy said...

what a great post of memories of that week, we sure packed in a lot of things! I am so gald you guys made the trip, we had so much fun!
I love your tree, the kids look so big putting up the ornaments!

Katie said...

You got some great pictures! I'm glad you guys got a real Christmas tree this year :) I can't wait to see you all!!!

Celeste said...

What a FUN trip to UT! You guys did so many fun things and saw so much family. You look like one proud Aunt, and she is darling!

Babzanne Barker said...

Those pictures are so adorable--not counting the one of me, Dad and the girls where we all look like a bunch of scarecrows! The rest are priceless, though.

Catherine said...

These pictures are awesome!!! What a fun time!

I do the exact same thing with my kids and putting up the ornaments. I was sad too as I looked at our tree and saw that they did a pretty good job, because that must mean they're getting way too old. :)

Linsi said...

What cute pictures!! Looks like a fun trip!

Mars said...

How fun you got to spend time with almost all of your family! Looks like you had a very busy yet fun time!

Kristalyn said...

We were so glad that you could come, out! Just wish we could have seen more of you...

Linda said...

When you have a private blog, it doesn't show up on Aspen and Annie's live feed things. I just barely saw this one! What a nice post! I was impressed with the way you so casually slipped in the infected tooth comment. They can be so painful. And what a funny comment Babz made! When I saw that picture, my only thought was how adorable and content your girls looked all snuggled next to their Grandma and Grandpa!