Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Honesty is the best policy...right?

This morning I went to Kohls to exchange a few things. I decided to go back and look at the baby section since I have a few baby showers coming up. I found these packs of mix and match onsies with pants that went with them. They were so cute! I got a boy pack and a girl pack since one of my friends had a girl, and another one is having a boy in a few months. I glanced at the sign above them and saw that they were on sale for 9.99. I thought that was a pretty good deal, since you could get five outfits out of it. I gathered up my things and headed to the front to pay. As she was ringing things up I was making sure everything came up on sale. When she got to the onsies they rang up 14.99, I immediately said, "those are supposed to be on sale for 9.99, it said it on the sign above them." She looked through the sale ad, but couldn't find them so she just made the correction for me. As we were getting ready to leave Tori noticed that she couldn't find her stuffed dog that she had brought in with her. We walked to the back to look for it. It happened to be on the ground right next to the rack where I had gotten the baby items. I looked at the sign above and noticed that they really were 14.99. The 9.99 price was for another item that was next to the thing I got. I immediately started rationalizing things in my head , such as, well, I really did think they were 9.99, it's not like I was telling her the wrong price on purpose ,I am in a hurry, no one will ever know, etc. As I started walking back to the front I decided that I would do the right thing. Now in my earlier years I wouldn't have thought twice about this little mistake. But growing up and having kids has made me have more on a conscience, so when I got to the front I waited in the long line of the lady who had helped me earlier. When I got to the front I told her what I had discovered. She said, OK, well you will have to go to customer service to have it changed. At this point Levi had a messy diaper, and he and Tori were both getting very impatient. I have to admit I seriously considered just ducking out the door on the other side of the store and just forgetting about the whole thing. But I thought, well I might as well just finish what I started. So I walked back to customer service, which is in the very back of the store. When I got there I told the lady the situation, and said that I wanted to pay the difference. She looked at me like I was so dumb! She then said, "oh no, just forget about it, it's not worth the hassle." Am I selfish to think a simple, "thank you for your honesty" would have been nice? Instead I felt rather silly and hurried out of the store. At least I have a clear conscience, but still!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

You set a good example for your kids! I hope to be able to do that for Scott & I's when the time comes.

Mars said...

That is kind of rude of her to say that, but at least you knew you were doing the right thing & setting a good example for your kids regardless of the messy diaper & impatience. :) I've had several of these instances-it's nice when you get a "thank you for your honesty" though

Rachel said...

I love that picture of you and Brandon at Prom, it is exactly how I still picture both of you!

The Mattinson's said...

Way to go. Hauling 2 kids while doing it, I would have had the same thoughts. I think I would have been like you and hoped I would get a thanks for being honest, but I guess most people are out to get the deal and wouldn't have taken the time to do the right thing.

Babzanne Barker said...

I remember as a mom doing something like that just so my little kids would know that being honest was important. I'm happy to see that apparently it worked! One thing your own little kids will always know is that being honest is important to their mom, and it will be important to them, too.

. said...

Isn't it funny how the 2nd child kind of gets gypped in the friend category? I'm glad that Sami and Tori are friends - I like her to have sweet little friends that still act like they're little girls - not preteens (like a neighbor girl we know). Anyhow, just a heads up - I did a post on Sami's allergic reaction - so DON'T FEEL BAD! It wasn't your fault and I really mean that! It's a tough lesson she's got to learn apparently (and I'm still not convinced that it's going to stick!) We will have to get them together again soon!

Kristalyn said...

I've been meaning to comment on this for a long time. Good job for going back! That's annoying how that lady acted. It's not only good to set an example for your kids, but it's also so important to be honest in every little thing...I heard somewhere a similar story and the person said that they didn't want to risk their salvation for only a few dollars. I did the same thing once at WalMart...Mason had put a package of chapstick in my purse so I didn't pay for it, but I found it in the car, the people there were much nicer though when I came back to pay for it. :)