Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sunburn

I mentioned in my post from earlier that we went to the sprinkler park today. It is always a big ordeal going anywhere with kids, and especially when you are going to go swimming (or running through the sprinklers). There are so many things to remember to bring. Towels, swim diapers, swim toys, lunch, ect. As we were waiting for my sister to come over so we could drive there I decided to put sunscreen on the kids so I wouldn't have to do it when we got there. I called the kids over one by one., and generously put it on each of them. It was very hot there, so I was really glad that I had smothered my kids in SPF 50 sunscreen and would not have to worry about them getting sunburned. When we got home we went about the day. My girls kept their swimming suits on, and as I looked at Alexis I noticed that her back looked really red. She had gotten burnt on the fourth if July, so I thought that it was left over from that. Upon further investigation, I realized it was a brand new sunburn, and a bad one. But how could this be I thought. I put tons and tons of sunscreen on them before we left. My mind then began re-playing putting it on each of the kids. I remember calling Alexis over, but not actually putting it on her! She has this new thing latley whenever I ask her to do anything she always says right away, "one minute mom". This must have been the case when I called her over, and then I must have gotten distracted and totally forgotten. I didn't put any sunscreen on her on this hot hot day! I quickly got the aloe vera and began smearing it all over her back, all the while saying, "I am the worst mom ever! I can't believe I did that". Later on I was getting after her for something she had done, which I can't remember at the moment. She interrupted me and said, "Mom...remember the sunburn?" Talk about bringing up the guilt again! I quickly said, "oh honey I am so sorry, go have some marshmallows. I have a feeling she will be using this against me for a while.

11 comments:

Babzanne Barker said...

Ouch! Poor Lexi--sunburns can be so miserable. But that is hilarious that she is using her sunburn as leverage against you getting after her!

Katie said...

Oh no, how sad! That makes me laugh that lexi is using it against you though! she's learned young ;-)

Annie said...

Wow, Diana. You're too hard on yourself! I can picture your mom being the same way.

Bethany said...

Boo! Doug got a sunburn at three months. Oh, the guilt.

Where is the sprinkler park?

We are moving to Utah. Colorado one day.... I hope!

Bethany said...

Boo! Doug got a sunburn at three months. Oh, the guilt.

Where is the sprinkler park?

We are moving to Utah. Colorado one day.... I hope!

Daniel said...

hahaha I got burned pretty badly last week at Schlitterbahn (a water park) Anyway, I finally gave in and decided to make a real blog. Here is the address
danielbarker1986.blogspot.com

Kristalyn said...

Oh...it was so hot, hopefully she has a little base tan so it won't be so bad. I'm lucky that Mason has pretty good skin...I still feel horrible though that his shoulders got burned...I keep looking at it and hoping that it won't be so red any more. I think he was being so squirmy that I figured I'd do more at the park...but when we got there it was so crazy that I forgot to try it again. Thank goodness for sunscreen!

Natalie Francis said...

Aloe Vera!!! Sad.

Michael said...

if anyone is wondering i have a blog it is http://mikeybarker.blogspot.com

Linsi said...

Bryce got heat exhaustion from an eagle scout project and I felt like such a bad mom too. When he was all better, he would ask me to get something for him and then say "I still have heat exhaustion mommy". They do love to bring it bak up don't they. I agree--there is way too much stuff to have to bring and think about, something is bound to get skipped.

Z. Marie said...

Laura got sunburned a few weeks ago, and the worst part was when it started to peel. "Mom, why is the skin coming off my shoulders?" she asked.