Tuesday, August 12, 2008

2nd Grade Already?!

Today Alexis started 2nd grade. It seems like I was just posting pictures from her first day of 1st grade. I can't believe how fast time is flying. We started a week earlier this year, and even though it was only a week, it made the summer seem so much shorter! When we saw the class lists this year I was so happy to see that all of the kids from our ward that go to her school ended up in the same class. Here is Alexis with her friend Bethany:
Alexis's teacher's name is Mrs. Diggins. I have heard such good things about her, and she seems so nice. Here is Alexis with her this morning when I dropped her off. You can see Alexis's 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Griffith in the background. Alexis was very excited that she got to line up next to her class, so that she can still see her this year.
The other night I was laying in bed, and it just hit me how big my kids are. I just wish time could slow down a little bit. I am trying to make a conscience effort to not stress about all the little things that need to get done, and just enjoy this time I have to spend with my kids, when they actually want to spend time with me! I have been stressing about whether to send Tori to kindergarten this year. Her birthday is September 12, and the deadline to start school is October 1, which means she would be the one of the youngest kids. I have gone back and forth, and actually registered her for Kindergarten. Then last year when she was at dance class I overheard one of the other parents talking about this same issue. She said, "you know it's just one less year that you have with them". That's what did it for me. I decided right then that I was going to wait. Today as we were dropping off Alexis, I was talking to Tori, and I said, "Do you wish that I was dropping you off for Kindergarten?" She said "No!" I said, you still have lot's of days till you will be going to kindergarten, and she said nervously, "Do I have to go tomorrow??" I happily said, "nope, not for 365 more days" That felt so good. So here's to another year, which hopefully won't go as fast as this last year has gone.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Crazy that you have a second grader! Do your kids go to Normady? I know this is weird but somethings you never forget, like the outdside of your elementary school! Congrats on being a mom of 2nd grader!

Z. Marie said...

Oh, wow, second grade. Laura doesn't start until the 25th, but it still seems like they're growing up way too fast. Hello, am I old enough to have a 7-year-old? (And you're definitely not!)

Michael said...

i cant believe shes in second grade all ready, it seems like just yesterday it was my first day of second grade!

Katie said...

Alexis is so beautiful in that first picture! I can't believe she's in second grade! I'm glad you decided to have tori wait a year before starting kindergarten :)

Kristalyn said...

Lexi is so cute, she's always so excited about new things! That conversation with Tori is priceless, I'm so glad that you decided to have her wait!

Natalie Francis said...

She is just adorable! I love first day of school pictures and her teacher looks super nice. How exciting!

Babzanne Barker said...

Why did this blog make me cry?!! Maybe because I know how fast these years go by--and maybe because you such a good mom, with so many great insights.

AJ and Cindy said...

I can't believe Lex is in 2nd grade, she is getting so beautiful!! Oh I miss her! I loved how at the fam reunion in the morning she came and snuggled in my bed with me!! lol anyways, that is funny how her teacher last year looks like she about to go out on the town, not teach 1st graders!! ahahaa

Beth said...

Aw, she is such a pretty little girl. 2nd grade - time flies - I remember driving home with Kristalyn the weekend she was blessed! I have another year and I'm already dreading sending my first one off to school. I can tell that you're such an awesome mom.