Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Start of Another School Year

Yesterday was Alexis and Tori's first day of school, and today was Levi's first day. Alexis is a big 3rd grader this year. I can hardly believe it. She wasn't too excited for the school year to start, so I was nervous for her first day. You can always tell how the school day went by the look on their face when they come out. There have been a few first days that have ended with tears, so I was nervous to see how this year would go. All of my fears were gone when I saw the big smile on her face as she walked out of the school. Her exact words were, "3rd grade is GREAT! I made 2 new best friends!" What a relief! Her teacher's name is Mrs. Haramy, and we have heard that although she is strict, she is a wonderful teacher.

This year Tori finally started Kindergarten! She was so excited to finally be going to school with Alexis. I was worried that she would be nervous on her first day, but she did great! I was so busy worrying about her, that I didn't even contemplate how I would be! As we stood there in line, as she was about to walk in the door, I leaned down and gave her a hug, and said, "you are going to have so much fun and meet so many new friends." As I was saying this to her, it all hit me, and I got really teary. I didn't expect to get that way at all, since I knew she was so ready to go to school, but I did. Starting Kindergarten is such a big step. The days of her being home with me are over, and I can never get those years back. At least she is only in half day Kindergarten. =)

Today Levi had his first day of preschool. He is back at Leawood again. Towards the end of last year he had a really hard time going to school, and so I was worried that he would have a hard time going back this year. As the summer came to an end I talked a lot about how he would be going back to school soon, and he always replied, "NO!" So I was a little nervous as the first day drew nearer. Yesterday they had a preschool open house, where the kids got to come and meet the teachers and explore the new classroom. Just him and I went, and we stayed there for about an hour in his classroom with his new teachers, and classmates looking around and getting used to things. I am so glad they gave the kids the opportunity to do that, because I think it really helped a lot, and today he had no problems going. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he continues to enjoy it.

Here he is waiting for school to start. He is in the "dragonfly" room.

When the kids first get there they have to do a question of the day. Parents aren't allowed to go in and help, so I just watched and took pictures. =)

As this year starts I am really excited. With Brandon's job going so well, I am able to stop doing day care. I feel so grateful for that. Last year I wasn't able to help at all in my kid's classes, and I felt so out of touch with everything. It was really hard especially not being able to help in Alexis's class, as she struggled a little bit more. This year I am determined to be involved with all of their classes, and really help each of them to love school and have a great year.



5 comments:

Annie said...

What a good mom you are, Diana! :)

AJ and Cindy said...

I love all the kids back to school outfits, they look so cute in them! I am glad school went well for everyone, seeing these pics made me miss them so much!

Mars said...

How fun! I love the start of school. You are such a cute mom :)

Katie said...

Those outfits they are wearing are so so cute! I can't believe they are all in school now! I can't wait to hear about how their years go...be sure to update your blog cuz I'm gonna miss hearing it from them!

Celeste said...

I can't believe all of your kids are in school/preschool. And with no daycare kids we'll be able to go VT anytime! =) I love their new outfits.